Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pearls and Screws.

Yes, I'm writing several posts on one day, and maybe that's tacky... but this is all backlog of things that should've been said before, when I was still sure that posting pics on ol' FB was enough.  By the same token, maybe it's pretentions to assume that people give a crap about why or how I made things.
If so, color me pretentious.

Anyway.

There was an art exhibit at the University of New England, when we still lived in Kennebunk, that revolved around the art of the afterculture - where aesthetics would go once technology had failed and our society had collapsed (and this was before iphones and the social-media tempest that both threatens actual human interaction and allows me to post this), and where the world could or would go after civilization.
The promo postcard to this exhibit hung on my wall for years, until I moved out of my cabin in december, actually - it depicted a stone, shell, and moss venus ascendant.  The exhibit itself was full of trees grown through highways and buildings, and art created out of the mundane and technological.

I really appreciate the utilization of objects that are industrial or technological as a counterpoint to the very delicate and beautiful.
This series, which is yet ongoing, is based on that dichotomy: destruction and delicacy, harsh edges and smooth opalescence.

Pearls and Screws.

Distress: beaten sterling band, rosy freshwater pearl in a bezel setting, computer screws.

Same ring, in living color
Infinity: twisted beaten sterling band, with hints of copper plating, computer screws.

Infinity earrings.

Love and beauty!


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love these pearl/screw creations of yours. I always approve of mixing tough and soft, patterned and solids, in outfits, but don't often see it with jewelry. Keep it up, Rhi!
    (Shelah)

    ReplyDelete