Saturday, February 23, 2013

Soldered chain and lost wax.

Until recently, the only chain that I had made was one with enough links that each link did not to be soldered to keep the thing together.

Then I made this:
Which is a bracelet and a thank-you all in one, modelled after the design of a necklace that I noticed being worn by its new owner

These have chain too, but I didn't make it.
It does make them dangle really nicely though.
Lily pads: hammered oxidized sterling, freshwater pearls, sterling half-rivets and wire, chain


I also recently completed my first lost wax casting.
The process is:
 - create items out of wax
-attach them via sprues (rhymes with screws, which made for an interesting conversation cause I had not idea what I was saying) to a central was rod
-mount said rod in a canister (not Lannister) and fill in around the wax forms with a super heat-resistant plaster
-burn out the wax in a kilm overnight
-mount the canister of plaster and empty space in a centrifuge, and melt metal in a crucible, then use the spinning prowess of the crucible (not Tituba's kind) so send the molten metal out into the plaster canister
- cool, cut, and voila!


Gemütlichkeit:


Raw garnet in silver:

There is a larger project that I also cast pieces of, but it's not done yet, so just you wait.

Love and beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment